Game of Thrones has one of the biggest and most loyal (crazy) fan bases of any new show, so if you are a superfan reading this and saying to yourself “I knew that” well, of course you did, you’re obsessed and your daughter’s name is probably Khaleesi, so calm down. For the rest of us fairweather fans who enjoy the show but do not pledge our lives to it there are quite a few interesting pieces of information that go along with the fantastical world of Westeros and the people in it, and as we all know, there is a lot of things even the characters aren’t aware of–red wedding anyone? So just so you’re in the know, check out 15 Things You (Probably) Didn’t Know About Game of Thrones.
15. George R.R. Martin told the show’s producers D.B. Weiss and David Benioff his exact vision for the characters and the end of the series just in case he dies before he is finished writing. That way the TV series can at least continue on without the books. He also continues to write the books on an old-fashioned typewriter, typing with one finger at a time, no wonder it’s taking so long for books 6 and 7.
14. People really are naming their kids after characters. Khaleesi has risen big time as well as Arya, there are even a few Joffreys popping up, which is just cruel of parents to do.
13. Actor Charles Dance found out his character Tywin dies from a fan. Apparently he had no idea until a fan approached him and said he had “a great death scene” in the books. In fact a lot of the actors haven’t read the books because they’re afraid that knowing their character’s fate would change their approach to portraying them.
12. The actress who plays Catelyn Stark, Michelle Fairley, was also Mrs. Granger, Hermoine’s mom in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Also, David Bradley who plays Walder Frey was also Argus Filch in the Harry Potter series, AND, the actor who plays Stannis Baratheon, Stephen Dillane, is the father of Frank Dillane, the actor who played the teenage Tom Riddle in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
11. The scene in which Emilia Clarke’s character has to eat the horse heart had the actress actually eating a huge gelatine type substance that she was told would taste like gummy bears. Instead it tasted of bleach and she had to throw up in between takes. It was also so sugary and sticky she got stuck to the toilet and was missing from set for awhile after shooting the scene.
10. They use the same actors for the armies of the Night’s Watch and the Targaryens. One of the stuntman revealed in an interview that he would shoot scenes in Belfast for The Wall and then again in Spain… well no matter what at least he’ll be victorious.
9. G.O.T. has been credited with the creation of the phrase “sexposition.” Sexposition is when important plot points are revealed while there is a lot of sex going on.
8. On that note, the actress who plays Shae, Tyrion’s mistress, began her career as a porn actress. There is also a porn parody of the show called Game of Bones.
7. Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) is actually a vegetarian, so none of the scenes where he is eating meat are actually real.
6. Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) and Lena Headey (Cersei) are actually really good friends even though they hate each other on-screen, and he even helped her get the role. They also have to try to avoid eye contact as much as possible while filming serious scenes in order to not make each other laugh.
5. Jack Gleeson who plays Joffrey rose to fame after playing a little kid in Batman Begins. He has announced his retirement from acting following his role of Joffrey.
4. Famous connections round 2. Aside from the various Harry Potter connections some of the show’s other stars have some big name relatives. Oona Chaplin who played Talisa Stark is the grand-daughter of Charlie Chaplin while Harry Lloyd who played Viserys Targaryen is the great, great, great grandson of Charles Dickens. And of course, Alfie Allen who plays Theon is the brother of singer Lily Allen.
3. Producers asked the Language Creation Society to create the Dothraki language specifically for the show. It has more than 3,000 words and part of it is based on lines from The Office’s character Dwight Shrute, so it is called the Shrutean Compound.
2. Crazy fandoms unite! Richard Madden (Robb Stark) is said to be dating Doctor Who star Jenna Louise Coleman (Clara).
1. One ENTIRE day of filming could result in only a three second clip in the show. With so much going on and an entire world to create, one three second scene not only can take a whole day to film but can also take up to six weeks to prep.