With Shinsuke Nakamura finally vanquishing Samoa Joe once and for all, we need a new challenger for the King of Strong Style! Tonight on NXT, four Superstars will battle for the right to face Nakamura at NXT TakeOver: San Antonio, the day before the Royal Rumble! Here’s what went down on NXT this week!
– Billie Kay d. Daria Berenato (pinfall, Big Boot)
Peyton Royce interfered behind the referee’s back, allowing Kay to get the win. Post-match, Kay and Royce delivered a challenge to Asuka. Backstage, Asuke claimed the two were all talk, and also got eyeballed by a nearby Nikki Cross, which seemed to amuse the NXT Women’s Champion.
– The Authors of Pain d. local jobbers due to ref stoppage
Interesting trivia note, the match stopped because during a spot where the Authors powerbombed one jobber onto the other, the two wrestlers smashed heads, legitimately knocking one unconscious and forcing the referee to step in.
– Bobby Roode d. Tye Dillinger, Andrade “Cien” Almas, and Roderick Strong in an Elimination Match to become #1 Contender to the NXT Title
– Strong eliminated Almas (pinfall, Sick Kick)
– Dillinger eliminated Strong (pinfall, Tye-Breaker)
– Roode eliminated Dillinger (pinfall, Glorious Drop)