With less than two weeks to go before 2016’s hellscape of a presidential race comes to a close, Donald Trump is taking yet another hit, but this time it’s not in the polls.
Deadline is reporting that early Wednesday morning, Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was destroyed by a vandal. Surprisingly, this appears to be the first time this has ever happened on the famous Hollywood landmark.
The attack was carried out at around 5:45 AM on Hollywood Boulevard by a man dressed as a city construction worker. The man, identified as one Jamie Otis, used a sledgehammer to carry out the defacement but as he told Deadline, his original intent had been to remove the star fully intact. Otis had planned to auction off the star next month in New York City to raise funds for the women who have come forward in recent months to accuse Trump of sexual assault. The removal process did not go as planned and Otis had to leave the star smashed into pieces.
Trump’s star was originally dedicated back in 2007 for his work on the NBC series The Apprentice. Prior to its destruction this morning, there had been a petition to have the star removed, but the Chamber of Commerce had said it was staying. It is unclear at this time whether the star will be fixed or if the vandal has been charged.