Late last week, it was reported that President-elect Donald Trump was eyeing Sylvester Stallone for the role of National Endowment for the Arts Chairman in his administration. In a statement obtained by PEOPLE, Stallone states that while he is “flattered” by the offer, he feels that he could make more of a difference by continuing to work for veterans.
“I am incredibly flattered to have been suggested to be involved with the National Endowment of the Arts,” the 70-year-old actor said in a statement. “However, I believe I could be more effective by bringing national attention to returning military personnel in an effort to find gainful employment, suitable housing and financial assistance these heroes respectfully deserve.”
Stallone is well-recognized for his his charity work supporting veterans and wounded servicemen. In 2015, he sold over 1,400 movie props and other memorabilia to raise $3 million to assist military veterans and wounded service members, as well as The Motion Picture and TV & Country House and Hospital.
The NEA is responsible for distributing government grants to arts organizations. Reports surfaced on Thursday that Trump had approached Stallone about heading the top arts position in his administration. Although Stallone has supported GOP candidates in the past such as John McCain, he says he is not a Republican and has made statements in the past suggesting that Trump would make for a poor commander-in-chief.
“I love Donald Trump. He’s a great Dickensian character. You know what I mean?” Stallone said in an interview with Variety earlier this year. “There are certian people like Arnold [Schwarzenegger], Babe Ruth, that are bigger than life. But I don’t know how that translates to running the world.”
(Via: Entertainment Weekly)