British health authorities have announced that criminal charges have been made against the producers of Star Wars: The Forces Awakens in response to an on-set accident that resulted in actor Harrison Ford’s leg being broken.
The incident, which occurred at Pinewood Studios near London in June 2014, resulted in Ford being airlifted to a hospital for surgery after a hydraulic door on the Millennium Falcon set struck the actor. Production was halted for two weeks as a result.
The Health and Safety Executive said Thursday that Foodles Production (UK) Lt., which is a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Co., had been charged with four breaches of workplace and health safety laws. The statement says that, “by law, employers must take reasonable steps to protect workers — this is as true on a film set as a factory floor.”
Foodles Production has responded to the charges, saying that it was disappointed by the decision to prosecute as the safety of cast and crew is “a top priority” for the company.
The first court hearing will take place in May at High Wycombe Magistrates’ Court near Pinewood Studios.
Disney has already started shooting the sequel to The Force Awakens, the currently untitled Star Wars: Episode VIII. Hopefully they don’t have any production-halting injuries this time out.
(via: Hollywood Reporter)