Update #2: Daniel Fleetwood, the terminally ill Star Wars fan whose dying wish to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens became the subject of a viral social media campaign, passed away in his sleep Monday night. He was 32.
Daniel’s wife Ashley confirmed the tragic news on her Facebook page. Just last week, on November 5th, The Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams personally called the couple and sent them an unfinished version of the film.
Update: The power of social media has helped grant a dying man’s wish to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens early.
In a post on her Facebook page, Ashley Fleetwood confirmed that Daniel was sent an unedited version of the film, which doesn’t hit theaters until December 18. A Disney spokesperson later confirmed the news to CNN Money’s Frank Pallotta.
The ever-awesome Mark Hamill took to his Twitter account to spread the news personally:
I just read this and am elated for Daniel & his family! Thanks to the powers-that-be for making his dream come true. https://t.co/ImiAdyBxf8
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) November 5, 2015
(via: The Guardian)
Original Story: Members of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens cast, as well as numerous Star Wars fans have launched a viral campaign to convince Disney to let a terminally ill fan see the film early.
The hashtag #ForceForDaniel has been making the rounds on social media in support of Daniel Fleetwood, a 32 year-old man diagnosed with a rare form of connective tissue cancer called spindle cell sarcoma. Doctors told him in July that he only two months to live.
— Ashley Fleetwood (@pandorashley) October 29, 2015
In an interview with Houston’s KPRC-TV, Fleetwood expressed his desire to see the film early, stating that he’s been a Star Wars fan since he was a child.
“Judging by how progressive the disease has gotten in the past two months I really don’t think that I’ll be able to make it,” Fleetwood said.
Hamill and Boyega, as well as several other members of the film’s cast and crew, have taken to their personal Twitter accounts and retweeted the hashtag in support of Fleetwood.
J.J. Abrams, the director of The Force Awakens, has granted a fan’s dying wish before, having allowed New York-based Daniel Craft to see Star Trek: Into Darkness early back in 2013. Craft died just days after seeing the film.
Fleetwood’s wife Ashley has set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for her husband’s medical bills.