EA has big plans for Star Wars Battlefront over the next few months.
Finally breaking the silence on the controversial season pass plan for the popular online shooter, the publisher has detailed what players can expect in terms of DLC in the coming weeks and months.
As revealed in a lengthy blog post written by Sigurlina Ingvarsdottir, the game’s senior producer, Star Wars Battlefront will receive new outfits, private matches, daily challenges, as well as a new map on Tatooine starting tomorrow. In a seeming effort to try and make it up to fans who were disgruntled by the game’s (admittedly outrageous) $50 season pass plan, Ingvarsdottir also notes that this content will be free.
In addition to the free content dropping tomorrow, the first details regarding the season pass have also been made available. The main highlights of the paid content include new maps in the Outer Rim, the Death Star, and the Cloud City of Bespin.
“As we said back in November, the release of Star Wars Battlefront was just the beginning,” Ingvarsdottir writes. “Our team has been listening to your feedback and building a calendar of new content and tuning changes we will be making to the game throughout 2016.”
Here is what will be included with tomorrow’s free update:
- Support for the Blast, Droid Run, Drop Zone, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs Villains multiplayer modes on the Tatooine Survival map, which will be renamed to Raider Camp
- New Hoth-themed outfits for Luke Skywalker and Han Solo
- Balancing tweaks to weapons and modes
- Introduction of daily challenges, community events, and private matches
More free content is on the way in February as well, which will add a new survival misison on Hoth, a new Hoth multiplayer map supporting Walker Assault, Supremacy, Fighter Squadron, and Turning Point game types. In addition, the update will also expand Turning Point (which was added to the game in December’s free “Battle of Jakku” update) for play on all large scale maps.
The free updates also extend into March, where a new map on Endor will be added, as well as an additional Tatooine Survival map. March will also see the release of the first content included in the game’s season pass, although full details are not yet available:
- Star Wars Battlefront Outer Rim (March 2016) – Fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt’s palace on Tatooine.
- Star Wars Battlefront Bespin (Summer 2016) – It’s hunt or be hunted in this action-packed experience set in the Cloud City of Bespin.
- Star Wars Battlefront Death Star (Fall 2016) – That’s no moon! One of the most iconic locations in the Star Wars universe makes its debut inStar Wars Battlefront.
- Star Wars Battlefront Expansion Pack 4 – Title TBA (Early 2017) – We will have more details to share about this exciting new expansion pack in the coming months.
For more on Star Wars Battlefront, be sure to read our original review from November when the game launched.